Urgent Action: Homes for All to Safely Quarantine!
One of Land in Common’s core values is that “a home is a fundamental right of all living beings.” As the COVID-19 virus spreads in our communities and we face the growing need to stay home and quarantine, we need to do everything possible to make sure that everyone has a home in which to safely shelter.
“People need homes in order to stay home,” say our friends at the Raise-Op Housing Cooperative.
This is why Land in Common is joining the Raise-Op and many others to urge Governor Janet Mills and the Maine State Legislature to take rapid action to protect housing for all Mainers.
In response to the COVID-19 crisis, the “Homes for All to Safely Quarantine” platform calls for:
- No home foreclosures, evictions, rent increases, or penalties
- Homes and support for the homeless
- Debt suspension for homeowners and small businesses
- Cancel rent and reimburse landlords
- Safety for the incarcerated and detainees
- Promoting housing as a human right and preventive healthcare measure
Please join us in supporting these crucial steps toward a just and effective response!
Ways to take action now:
- Sign this petition to add your voice in support of a moratorium on housing evictions during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Call or write Governor Janet Mills to urge her to support the policies in the Homes for All platform.
- Call or write your state senator and representative, urging them to support the policies in the Homes for All platform.
- Share this call to action with your friends, social networks and organizations. If you are part of an organization that would like to endorse the platform, contact the Raise-Op Housing Cooperative.